When Emily Was Small
A joyful frolic through the garden helps a little girl feel powerful in this beautiful picture book that celebrates nature, inspired by the writings of revered artist Emily Carr.
Age Range: 4-8 years
Publisher: Tundra Books
- “It’s an altogether mystical yet accessibly grounded story.” —STARRED REVIEW, Kirkus Reviews
- “Soloy’s poetic prose and sumptuous illustrations pay homage to this beloved artist and writer.” –Atlantic Books Today
- “Soloy’s illustrations variously evoke glee, sadness, and astonishment.” — The Ormsby Review
- “Soloy’s When Emily Was Small is a satisfying, challenging, beautiful picture book that deserves to be shared with young readers and the young at heart.” –CM Reviews
You can watch Lauren speaking about When Emily was Small and demonstrating a bit of her process here.
You can also read a digital version of Lauren’s interview with The Vancouver Sun, here.
Click on this CBC Books link to find further information about the book and Emily Carr
Read an interview with Lauren about her writing and illustration process here.
Click here for a link to some fun printable and activities!
Etty Darwin and the Four Pebble Problem
Etty Darwin and her famous father go for a walk to ponder life, science . . . and fairies! Inspired by the real-life daughter of Charles Darwin.
Etty loves make-believe.
Her dad loves science.
Etty believes in fairies.
Her dad would need to see some proof that they exist.
But they both love nature, conversation and each other.
On Sale: May 18, 2021
ISBN: 9780735266087 Publisher: Tundra Books
- “An excellent introduction to the natural sciences, Darwin, fairies, and inquiry, sure to inspire and fascinate young readers and listeners.” —STARRED REVIEW, Kirkus Reviews
- Selected as a Junior Library Guild Gold Standard Selection
For free downloadable activity sheets, please visit the Tundra website by clicking here.
To visit the home page of Down House, where Charles and Etty lived, click here.
I’s the B’y
For kids who love to sing and dance: this vibrant picture book shares lyrics from a classic folk song about community, culture, and the seaside.
“I’s the B’y” is a decades-old folk song that originated in Newfoundland but has been sung and danced to the world over. In this gorgeous picture book, Maritime artist and children’s writer Lauren Soloy honors the song and its birthplace with rich, captivating illustrations of bobbing boats, leaping humpback whales, violin-playing fish, dancing people, starry skies, and stormy seas. Full of undeniable energy and joy, this spirited picture book will have kids singing, dancing, and learning all about Newfoundland.
On Sale: May 31, 2022
ISBN: 1771648333 Publisher: Greystone Kids
“Clap your hands and dance along to a traditional Newfoundland folk melody an inviting version of a Canadian song that will resonate-and reverberate.”
A Tulip in Winter: A Story About Folk Artist Maud Lewis
By Kathy Stinson and Lauren Soloy, available from Greystone Kids after March 7, 2023.
The Hidden World of Gnomes
By Lauren Soloy, available from Tundra Books after June 20, 2023.